What’s the best month in Maine? We love September in Kennebunkport. Ok, so there’s our favorite seaside town fully disclosed too.
Here are out Top 10 Reasons to Come To Kennebunkport in September
1. September in Kennebunkport is the perfect blend of summer and fall. You can still enjoy beautiful summer-like days in September – with plenty of beach sand and space to yourself. The ocean remains relatively warm in temperature. You might even get an “Indian summer”, can we say still say that? Its not P.C., politically correct, but it’s a treat when you get 85 degree days in mid to late September!
2. The first hint of fall is in the air, and in the leaves in the trees. Enjoy a walk out Ocean Ave and see the early hints of autumn, orange yellow and amber in the oak, birch and maple trees. Enjoy a pumpkin spice latte at Mornings in Paris, to embrace to welcome the change of season, but still sit outside at this great French-inspired café at Coopers Corner.
3. Maine Lighthouse Day is September 8, with free tours of Goat Island Lighthouse., part of maine Open Lighthouse Day. The 1883 Goat Island Light and tower, and keepers house off Cape Porpoise Pier, will be open for tour 11-3 on Sept 8. The Lighthouse is owned and preserved by the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust. You do have to get out to the light on your won that day, so rent a kayak from Kayak Excursions for a fun dy on the water.
4. Kennbunkport’s Village Art Walk is September 7, the 2nd Friday of the month. Walk from art studios to galleries in Kennebunk’s Lower Village and Kennebunkport’s Dock Square and out Ocean Avenue, and in to downtown Kennebunk from 5 to 7 to peruse local art, chat with artists and gallery owners, and enjoy wine & cheese. The Village Art Walk encompasses Gallery at the Grand, Fish House Designs, Phosart, Sue Rioux Designs, River Tree Arts, Morph, Maine Art, Deborah Randall Fine Art, and in Kennebunkport – the W. Robert Paine Gallery, Rusty Fly Gallery, True North Gallery and Landmark Gallery, Sharpe Gallery at the Nonantum, the Christopher Becker Gallery, and Mast Cove Galleries and several downtown Kennebunk art galleries as well including Brick Store Museum. p.m
5. Boating at its best. September is a fantastic time to get out on the water in Kennebunkport. The big blue ocean is especially so in September. Chose your watercraft, kayak, canoe, SUP, or a boat charter from the Nonantum Resort, aboard the Rugosa Lobster Boat Tour, Libreti Rose Fishing Charter or Pineapple Ketch sailing cruise.
6. Farmers markets and craft fairs are at their peak. Enjoy the bounty of fresh harvest, and beautiful hand-grown hand-picked veggies, and organic food at the Kennebunk Saturday morning market in downtown Kennebunk. Craft fairs abound from Kennebunkport’s Village Green in front of the Captain Lord Mansion, to Wells Reserve Laud Holm Farm. Come shop Maine made jewelry, art and food, and have fun while you are sampling local flavors and fashions
7. Happy Hours become more local – and they’re still lively. We love craft cocktails and small plates at Old Vines Wine Bar, David’s KPT at the Boathouse Waterfront Hotel, and Stripers at the Breakwater Inn. See our guide to Kennebunkport’s best happy hours and cocktail spots. See our Guide to Happy Hour and Cocktails in Kennebunkport.
8. Music in the air. Kennebunkport’s live music is vibrant, though September with performers at Burleigh at Kennebunkport Inn, Old Vines, Hurricane, the Pilot House, and Vinegar Hill Music Theatre.
9. Maine Lobster is on the menu… you can still crack into a crustacean, at Mabel’s Lobster Claw, at Alisson’s, Nonantum’s 95 Ocean (try the lobster shrimp dumplings) and most every restaurant in town.
10. Lodging prices start to fall, long before the autumn leaves. Kennebunkport hotels, BnBs and resorts like The Breakwater Inn & Spa, The Nonantum Resort, the family-friendly Rhumb Line Resort, and Boathouse Waterfont Hotel have super September rates. The Captain Lord Mansion has 3 day Glorious September package that oozes romance, r&r. If you bring the kids, Rhumb Line Resort is family friendly and fun. Staying on the beach in Kennebunk at Seaside Inn is extraordinary in September with sunsets and early morning beach walks just steps away.
Hope to see you this month in Kennebunkport Maine… make it a September to remember – #LoveKpt
See the local weather in Kennebunkport and plan your September getaway to the seacoast…
Photos and Content – Copyright of VisitMaine.net 2018