Fun Facts about Kennebunkport Maine Lobster
10 fun facts about Maine Lobster, what you should know as you crack into your crustacean…
- Lobsters were so plentiful in colonial days – the chickens of the sea – they were served to peasants. Males were called cocks and females hens. Lobsters were so abundant they would wash up on the beaches and shores, to be cooked served to the servants and even prisoners – probably without melted butter. Lobsters were also huge back in the day, up to four feet long. Lobster were even fed to farm animals, or used as bait for fishing… funny how times change.
- It takes up to 7 years for a lobster to grow to one pound – the legal size minimum to be harvested. Lobsters molt frequently, 25 times before reaching that one pound mark.
- Lobsters can live as long as 100 years.
- Maine lobster (Homarus americanus) is unique for its two large meat-filled claws – the crusher and the pincher, whereas spiny lobsters, found in the Caribbean and California, have large spiny antennae – hence the name. The spiny lobster have tail meat but is is not as sweet and they have no large claws.
- Lobstermen that catch Female lobsters bearing eggs “send them back to sea, if their tale is notched with a v”. A female can carry about 10,000 eggs, for a year, on her tail, only about one-tenth of one percent of eggs become lobsters.
- Female lobsters have meatier tails…no comments wise guys. Lobster males have beefier claws.
- Maine lobsters have eight legs, four on each side, called pereiopods. Lobsters can swim forward and back.
- Lobsters eat sea urchins, crabs, clams, mussels, and fish, and sometimes they eat each other… Lobsters also eat their own molted shells.
- Lobster don’t scream when you cook them – they don’t have a voice or lungs.
- Lobster is good for you! The meat is a packed with protein, low fat, at least it is before you add butter.
- Cape Porpoise is an authentic Maine lobster fishing village
See the best places to enjoy Maine Lobster in Kennebunkport and more More Maine lobster facts and how to order Maine Lobster to be shipped home after your stay in Vacationland!